Monday, September 10, 2012

It is getting cold but things are still CHILL


Hello all,
Sounds like Harrison is having a lot of fun on his mission. I was supposed to go on exchanges last Friday but things came up and we weren’t able to. We had a guy find a Book of Mormon in the trash can and then call us and ask if he was allowed to read it, and told us that he will call us when he is done and we could discuss it. So that was cool. We just watched the restoration with mark. He is cool and ready to be baptized but he just won’t. But it’s cool because he is way funny so being able to teach him like 3 times a week is nice too. But I would rather see him baptized. I tried to baptize him early by throwing a pitcher of water on him. He didn’t think it was funny.... well actually he did because it was on accident and then said that I tried to dunk him. But he is way kewl. It finally feels like I’m in a routine with things. Which is good because I’m used to being out here now but its stinks too because it’s just like the same old stuff every week and it gets really boring sometimes. But me and elder Hansen have fun so it cancels it out most times. Dad would love it out here because there are chicken and chip shops everywhere and it only cost like 2 quid to get 2 pieces of fried chicken and a lot of fries... I have had it like 7 days in a row minus Sunday of course. It is way good... it’s like kfc but 5 times better and like 5 times cheaper. Some of my favorite things to do involve street contacting. Rarely do people even listen to us so we have to keep sane so some ways I do that are 1. Crushing snails. 2. Popping slugs like zits by stepping on them. 3. This is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE thing to do- the sidewalks are lined with bushes and trees and the bushes are blackberry bushes so I always just stop and pluck a handful of berries... for the most part they always taste really good.  That is the BEST.   Winter is already moving in. it’s cold and I don’t like it... no matter how big your jacket is its still cold. The more clothing you have on the colder it is for some reason so you are just stuck being cold. It stinks. One thing I have learned so far though is to respect all religions... it’s actually really cool to hear what other people believe. It’s really interesting I definitely want to take some theology classes when I get back because it is just really interesting and chill to hear what they believe and why. And yes,  I know Albrechtson. He is a great guy and is the ap. He is way cool. The ap's are chill. The only reason people talk to me about the election stuff is because I’m American. People here couldn’t care less about it. I can see why you aren’t supposed to talk about politics on a mission. Things can escalate quickly. Oh, We are teaching an 8 year old kid who turns nine next month whose whole family is less active but they want their kid to be baptized so we teach the boy and the family in whole in really. It’s really cool because they are coming to church now. Interesting piece of info- The Clapham common ward has over 450 inactive members. It’s in the Peckham area which is an area controlled by the Africans and they love the church but get baptized and then never go again. the ward basically has its own set of rules because the Africans here have like a different understanding of the meaning of time so everyone shows up to church hours late so they have like open sacrament all day. It’s crazy. That’s in the zone above me so I don’t have to deal with that for now. This week I was filled with African food. I had guinea fowl, Jollafriss, fufu, and some spicy peanut butter sauce. It’s all way good. I have learned to like tomatoes. I hate tomatoes but now I actually I kinda like them. Still hate cheese cake... that’s the only thing I physically can’t eat. It’s straight up disgusting. Next Monday we are learning how to cook Chinese food so that’s cool. Food here is really good. Not any stand out experiences dealing with spirituality. I’m sure there are small ones just not like huge ones, but no worries I have 2 years for that. I got side tracked from reading the book of Mormon and started to read the bible. It’s awesome. I find that its very interesting. I like them both but the bible is more relevant in missionary work right now because we are talking to heavy Catholics so I want to know what they are talking about. We taught Alessandra in English. She normally speaks Italian so we still had the Italian elder helps us. She really wants to be baptized but she wants it as a family but her husband is never home. Yea the suit was on sale... norm its 140 but I got it for 80. But anyways that’s all. Happy birthday Millie and dad!!You two are awesome!

Elder Mecham- love you all-

 
This week's Q and A.

1. Who are you teaching now? Bruno and fam. they are Portuguese so we take someone that can speak Portuguese and translate for us. They were very strong Catholics but recently have been opening up and they invited us over for dinner. They are chill

2. What service projects have you done lately? Just gardening for people

3. Do you want me to try and send you some lacrosse sticks? Maybe fiddle sticks or something? I could take the heads off and get them in the suitcase at Christmas maybe. Christmas time would be kool

4. You said you were sick last week. What was wrong? Are you better? Just a bad cold... I’m kool now

5. Have you gotten any letters this week? from Bret and sister Bertha... shouts!

6.Are you working with Mark still? This will be our last week because he is going to Staines for university

7. How was your talk? What scriptures did you quote? John 13, Matthew 5, 1 Peter, and 1 Timothy 4:12. I just wrote down the scriptures I needed and then talked around them. I talked about how when me and Andrew Bertha and Spencer Taylor were hiking and the rock smashed Andrew’s foot how he was thankful that happened or else he would have fallen off the edge. So I talked about the example that he set that I needed to base my life not on sports anymore because it could be gone like that.

8. What do you write to President Millar about every week? Just that everything is chill


Oh and every day I  wakeup do like a million pushups and situps. Shower. Eat. Study for 3 hours. Teach. Contact. Teach. DA, teach. Knock .Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment